Sunday 24 February 2013

Is it easy to make your money back on the App Store?

So, as some of you might know (if anyone is actually reading this), I'm a hobby developer with a degree in game development. My biggest problem, when working alone, is that I can't finish the stuff I make. I always make something, but before I can properly finish it for release I start something new and then the cycle continues. Though there's one exception, a little app I wrote, called Magic Tools, for iOS.



Magic Tools

Magic Tools is a very simple app, and the first app I released ever. The problem is that it's also the only app I ever released. On top of that, for some reason, I made it for iOS. Because of this I had to pay the developers fee of 100$ (€80), and this isn't much if you're a proper developer, but might be much if you're just making app for fun and are a poor student like me.
Now, this brings me to the actual point of this post. My attempt to make some money on the App Store completely failed, but it did become an interesting experiment. How easy is it to make your money back on the App Store?


Very Easy

The short answer is: very easy. The app I made was a very simple app, I made it in a few days (while watching series) and did everything myself. Then I put it on the AppStore for 99 cents. It never sold like crazy, only a few sales per day, slowly going up. Now, after about half a year, I already made back more than half of what I paid. This with only one app, and a very simple one at that. I will report back in half a year.
So getting the developers fee back shouldn't be too hard. You can probably even making a little cash if you make more than just one app.


Thanks for reading!

Note: If I forget to make a new post about this is half a year, and you really want to know how much I made, comment here and I will keep my promise.

1 comment: