Friday 29 June 2012

Remotely download torrents from iPad

Hi,

Yesterday I wanted to download something to my desktop, though I was watching a movie on my iPad in bed and was too lazy to get up. So I searched for a way to use my iPad to tell my desktop to download a torrent. Of course the first thing I did was google it. The first thing I found was something to download directly onto your iPad, though this required me to create an account somewhere and some other sketchy stuff. The second thing I found used dropbox to sync torrent files to your desktop. Neither was really what I wanted, so I just figured out a way of my own. The great thing about my way is that you can even use magnet links, which isn't possible with the Dropbox method.

Here's what you need to do:

  1. Install uTorrent on your desktop.
  2. Enable Remote:
  3. Go to https://remote.utorrent.com and log in using the name and password you set in uTorrents. Then pin this to your home screen. Pinning it is optional, though it's very useful.
  4. Go to your favourite torrent website and copy the torrent or magnet link. Don't download the file, copy it's link.
  5. Now open the remote uTorrent again and paste the link you just copied into the app at the bottom right:
Now everything is set up to start downloading stuff. This same method will probably also work for Android, though this is untested by me.

Now go download some awesome legal stuff and prove torrents aren't evil!



No comments:

Post a Comment